Author Topic: Best time, place , route for fall foliage this October 2017  (Read 2427 times)

Offline Desti

• View Profile
Best time, place , route for fall foliage this October 2017
« on: September 10, 2017, 01:16:27 PM »
Hi Jeff and John,
See fall foliage is always one of my bucket list. Please advice when is the best time and place, scenic route to see beautiful fall foliage in Boston, VT, NH, CT.....I will be flight out from TX. I have 4 days long weekend
I heard lobster roll is famous in Main or Boston I love to try. 

Offline John

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Best time, place , route for fall foliage this October 2017
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 02:23:58 PM »
Hi Jeff and John,
See fall foliage is always one of my bucket list. Please advice when is the best time and place, scenic route to see beautiful fall foliage in Boston, VT, NH, CT.....I will be flight out from TX. I have 4 days long weekend
Hi Desti,
Thanks for joining the forum. I'm on my way out the door right now to fly my drone, so I don't have the time to reply right now. I just want to acknowledge your post. If Jeff doesn't beat me to it I'll get back to you later.

John

Offline Desti

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 08:43:08 PM »
Thank you, John

John
[/quote]

Offline John

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 09:03:59 PM »
Hi Jeff and John,
OK, I'll do my best, but keep in mind most of my knowledge is in NH from the Lakes Region (where I grew up and lived most of my life) and north. IO moved to the NEK of VT 4 years ago and am getting to know this region well. Jeff or someone else will need to answer for other areas.

When I was in NH the area around the White Mountains was usually peak during the first week of October. The northern section and upper elevation first and then it work it's way south. The Lakes Region / Ossipee Valley was usually peak during the second week of October. Must see places in NH : Crawford Notch, Franconia Notch, The Kancamagus Highway and just about any back road you can find.

As for the NEK of Vermont we are usually at peak in late September to very early October. This year may be different due to the cooler temps that we have had. Here in Island Pond we dropped down to the upper 30's twice already. Once in August and again in early September. Other locations here in the NEK were even cooler and got down to the low 30's with frost. Because of that I think we will be anywhere from 4-7 days ahead of normal this year. Places to see in the NEK; Darling Hill Road in Lyndonville to East Burke, Lake Willoughby, Burke Mountain, Craftsburry Common, Peacham, Vt. A little further south is the village of Stowe. When in Stowe take a ride over Smugglers Notch Road. I hope this helps. Feel free to fire away if you have any other questions.

Here's a photo from today of little Averill Pond up near the Canadian Border with Vermont.

Offline Jeff Foliage

• Arboreal Oracle
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2017, 08:05:10 PM »
I think we'll hopefully be seeing some nice color developing this week and into next week. I think if you want to drive up into the sough NH region (lakes region) and then over to VT and back into CT I would look at around the 15th to the 19th of Oct.

Things are up in the air right now as someone pissed off Mother Nature and she took away all our pretty colors. But she is starting to cool down and we should see them return later this week...

FoliageForum.com

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2017, 08:05:10 PM »